[Coco] Large CoCo System for the taking

Larry Osborne larrybo at idirect.com
Wed Dec 10 21:14:00 EST 2003

I tried this in September of this year and at the time it was unpacked so
the size was a bit indeterminate.  The person who was to take it did not
notice my comments about pickups or vans to carry the stuff off as
indicating size and so was unprepared to take the whole system.  I am trying
again to get the entire system out in one go.  I did not want a partial
removal of selected parts or having to ship them, and that is still true
especially since I just got out of the hospital because of a heart attack.
At least they are properly boxed if not sealed  now and so can be available
very quickly.

I have a large CoCo3 system with 3 5.25 floppies and some 2 3.5 360K
floppies that could in an emergency be used after copying the old floppies
to them and a SCSI drive system, large amounts of magazines, software
manuals, diskettes, miscellaneous hardware, and books.  When it was on my
shelves the magazines, books and manuals took up somewhere from 12 to 14
feet of shelving, the boxed diskettes about 7 feet and of course desktop
space and some closet storage.

There are a total of 17 boxes of material.  13 of the boxes are sized at 11
1/2" X 9 1/2" X 17 3/4".  The other boxes are sized as follows:
14 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 17 3/4"
9 1/2' X 21 3/4" X 16"
17" X 18 1/4" X 17"
13" X 13" X 22"

I used it until 1997, when I got my first PC and there was no longer room in
my small apartment to give the CoCo desk space.  The main system was working
then and I assume probably still is although the floppies will certainly
need to be reformatted and backuped to.  They were overdue for that in '97
as I think the last time I did for any of them was around '91.

I also have some Atari material, just a little, if anyone is interested.  It
is boxed in 1 box sized at 11 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 17 3/4" and there are 2 Atari
520's which I never used, but Paul Hazelwood, who had produced a 512 K board
that some of you may still use, did check them out as working in '91
although I have no monitors for them as I could not get the OS9 system for
them that I wanted and so they languished unused by me.

I live in Toronto, pretty close to the downtown area.  The person who want
in will need to be able to drive here, pick it up, and take it away.  These
restrictions probably restricts it to southern Ontario.  I would not expect
anyone in New York state to pick it up as it could take a very long time to
get back through US Customs on the way home.

While I was boxing, I did produce an inventory of sorts with some comments
about last known or current conditions indicated.  It is done in StarOffice
5.2 which is what I use although I do have both Word and WordPerfect on my
system and so I can get it into a format for any of these without much
difficulty.

I will send out the list to any prospective takers and note their ranking
order of request and let them know their ranking order at the time I send
the list.  The person getting it would have the earliest ranking after
checking it out and indicating that s/he wants to take the entire package( I
will allow a week for this process).  I would like to set a pickup date
before Christmas if practical but later if necessary.

I will not be hurt if after you get it that I hear you are disposing of
parts of it.  It is a lot of material, and I don't want to go through the
chore of properly selling or breaking it up at this point.  I have been
tired and ill for some time and the heart attack was I hope the start
towards a recovery.

Larry Osborne