[ From Butch Ross ] Still plenty of seats left for QuaranTUNE 10.0 ...registration closes this Saturday.

News, info and tourdates for Butch Ross butchross at butchross.com
Tue May 23 12:52:13 EDT 2023

Well the deadline for the National Dulcimer Symposium just closed and it
looks like there's a full house. Registration for QDF 10 is this Saturday
and there's still room for more. I can believe I'm doing one right on top
of the other; I'll actually be teaching QDF from two different locations.
No, wait? I CAN believe I'm doing this. When it comes to dulcimers, I say
yes to everything!!!

Here's a quick recap of what I'm teaching.

Friday, Session 1 - Get Off On The Wrong Foot
Not really the wrong foot, just fun, easy ways of playing the instrument
for beginners. If your taking Debby Porter's beginner double-session, this
will be a whole bunch of fun things that you can do AS WELL as what Debby's
gonna teach you

Friday, Session 2 - Baritone Dulcimer: No, you don't need more notes.
There aren't missing notes on the dulcimer, you just gotta know where to
look. This is even MORE true with the Baritone.

Friday, Session 3 - Bluesy, Boogie Bass and Dulcimer Duets.
I've done this with Elaine Conger before, back then we did a funky take on
Old Joe Clark. We'll be doing new tunes this time, and then Elaine will be
teaching a bass line to go with it on Saturday.

Sat., Session 1 - Ukulele: Intro to chord-melody.
Play the Uke like a dulcimer. There's a trick to it, I'll show you what it
is.

Sat., Session 2 - Skipping the Third Beat
This is the key to playing island tunes like Yellowbird or rock-in-roll
like Louie, Louie. It's tricky, but one you get it the whole world is yours
for the taking.

Sat., Session 4 - Pinkies and Thumbs
The absolute key to playing melody and chords at the same time, I'll show
you some fun exercises that will have, let's say, feeling groovy!

Sat., Session 5 - Great Is Thy Faithfulness
I know when I teach hymns, people tend to think "Him?" But this class will
show you a lot about how to figure out arrangements on your own.

Sat., Session 7 - Rhythms Beyond 4/4
Oh, I get it. Last session, last day, "I already know how to play a waltz".
But this class is a great exploration of right hand techniques. Through the
new time signature you'll learn a lot about strumming and feeling the music
in a way that's not boring or painful. This is one of my favorite
classes to teach.

Well that;s it. Again registration closes on Saturday. You can sign up
here: https://www.virtualdulcimerfest.com/mountain-dulcimers

C-ya out there (or in here, rather)

--Br
www.butchross.com

"Now I know what a dulcimer is supposed to sound like" —Jake Shimabukuro