[ From Butch Ross ] QuaranTUNE 9 registration, AND online workshops and shows THIS WEEKEND!

News, info and tourdates for Butch Ross butchross at butchross.com
Tue Jan 3 13:37:18 EST 2023

Lots of stuff to talk about, so let’s get right to it.

TOMORROW

Registration for QuaranTUNE 9.0 opens tomorrow (Wednesday) at 7pm EST. I’ll
talk more about what I’m teaching in a minute. Go here to sign up:
https://www.virtualdulcimerfest.com/

THIS SATURDAY

Once again, I’m doing a day of Beatles and Joni Mitchell workshops. I
taught these in October and folks asked me to bring it back. So I did. I’ll
talk about those in a second too, but here’s where you sign up.
https://butchross.com/jpjoni/

SATURDAY NIGHT - 7PM EST

I will be playing a live/online show featuring the Joni Mitchell songs (and
more) with a couple of friends (including my friend Hayley, who can
actually sing the Joni Mitchell songs). If you’re local, tickets are $10
and a benefit for the Mountain Arts Community Center. But if you’re not you
can also watch it online for free from their Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/maccsignalmtn/

WORKSHOPS THIS WEEKEND

I’m teaching three workshops online, two Beatle-themed ones and one all
about Joni Mitchell.

9:30am - Beatles "I Will" and "Please, Please Me." - Adv. Beginner and up.

"I will" was the most requested song at my KMW songs of the 60's class. I

didn't know it then, but I do now. And "Please Please Me" is just fun. "I

Will" will be a little bit of a stretch for Advanced Beginners, but you

shouldn't let that stop you. "Please, Please Me" is much simpler, but you
will

need a 1+ fret

11am - Rhythms Beyond 4/4 (with the Beatles) - Adv. Beginner and up.

I've taught "Rhythms Beyond 4/4" before. But this time with a twist. The

Beatles—in their infinite creativity—have played most of the time

signatures. And what better way to remember these rhythms than with songs

you already know and love.

1:30 - The Tunes and Tunings of Joni Mitchell - Adv. Beginner and up.

Joni Mitchell stunned the folk world by appearing at the Newport Folk

festival last summer. We'll take a look at the four dulcimer tunes on

"Blue" as well as Big Yellow Taxi.

QUARANTUNE 9.0

Now on February 3 and 4 I’ll be teaching eight workshops as part of
QuartanTUNE 9.0. Do you realize this is my first QuaranTUNE in a year?!?!
Crazy!

Anyway, here's what I’m teaching (in alphabetical order, for no good
reason).

Get Off On The Wrong Foot - Level 1

Alternative approaches to beginning dulcimer that will speed up and enhance
typical education.

Hiccups - Level 3

Learn to master the tiny little syncopations that make great tunes so fun
and interesting.

It’s All Cabbage, Really - Level 2

The first song we all learned is a rosetta stone of information. Learn how
memorizing this song can open doors for learning tunes, songs, theory and
surviving in a jam session.

No, You Don't Need More Notes - Level 5

We got all the notes we need on our dulcimer already, here’s how to find
them.

Show Off! - Level 4

Make cool & weird sounds on the dulcimer

Thinking Inside The Box - Level 4

Use a series of small “boxes” to play ALL the notes in a song smoothly and
easily.

Wrenches - Level 3

Learn how to “mess up” a tune in the coolest way possible. Elaine Conger is
teaching a companion class on this for Bass Dulcimer.

UKE: Insanely Useful Chord Progressions - Level 3

Learn these, and you’ll know everything. Well not everything, but more than
enough to get you jump started on your favorite tunes.

You got plenty of choices, I hope to see you somewhere, sometime.

--Br
www.butchross.com

"Now I know what a dulcimer is supposed to sound like" —Jake Shimabukuro