[ From Butch Ross ] Spring Thaw Fling this weekend, with DOUG BERCH!!!! and web cast is now up online

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Wed Feb 29 13:49:45 EST 2012

*Happy Leap Day to you!

Spring Thaw Fling* - with Butch Ross and Doug Berch!
*Charles F. Alley Memorial Park* (Geneva Hills)
2805 Old Logan Road
Lancaster, OH 43130
United States
740-243-4210
http://www.genevahills.com/directions/

Teaching two workshops
Beyond Beginner and up - I Don't Improvise, I Just Make Stuff Up: Using a
series of games and exercises we'll learn how to free up inhibitions and
start improvising. Make your favorite tunes better, keep yourself
interested in lengthy jams and maybe eventually create your own
arrangements or tunes!

Intermediate/Advanced - Contemporary Rhythm Workshop.
Ready to graduate from Bum Ditty? Learn rhythmic forms from genres such as
jazz, rock and world music. learn to swing and shuffle, syncopate and and
play poly-rhythms that breath new life in to old war horses.

The flyer's up on my facebook page if you need more info (
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150636879369712&set=a.10150116331884712.296967.768934711&type=1&theater
)

Well this has got to be fun. An chance to jam and hang out with Doug Berch
is time well spent. Oh and he's pretty good on them dulcimers of his.

Also, the web cast is now available for viewing online at
http://vimeo.com/37430256 in shockingly vivid HD (well, shocking to me
anyway) there's a little tech glitch with the sound at 4:11 that you need
to be prepared for (it's a bad cable) but overall I think Phillip Luckey
did a really great job of it.

The tunes on it are ones I've been kicking around for a while, like
"Brothers on a Hotel Bed" but also some old folk songs and some really old
original tunes, including one i wrote for a band I was in in College. It's
kind of amazing to me that with a loop pedal and a mountain dulcimer I can
recreate an arrangement that two guitar and a drummer did all those years
ago.

Of course, we weren't as good them. :-)

Anyway, if you want to watch it (or watch it again) it's here:
http://vimeo.com/37430256

No word on when (or if) the EP will be done, but I got plenty of ideas to
kick around.

So again this weekend...

*Spring Thaw Fling* - with Butch Ross and Doug Berch!
*Charles F. Alley Memorial Park* (Geneva Hills)
2805 Old Logan Road
Lancaster, OH 43130
United States
740-243-4210
http://www.genevahills.com/directions/

Oh, I just saw as I was typing this that Davy Jones died. Too bad,

--Br
www.butchross.com

"Now I know what a dulcimer is supposed to sound like" —Jake Shimabukuro