[ From Butch Ross ] Knoxville Area Radio and Shows this week.

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Mon May 11 12:06:45 EDT 2009

Wednesday, May 13th, NOON
*WDVX Blue Plate Special*
Broadcast live from the Knoxville Visitor's Center
Knoxville Visitor Center is a 100-year-old downtown building located at the
corner of Gay Street and Summit Hill Avenue in downtown Knoxville, you can
also listen online at http://www.wdvx.com/

Saturday, May 16th - All day
*Wood-n-Strings Pickin' Porch*
**7645 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy.
Townsend, TN 37882
Click Here for an online
Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7645%C2%A0E.%2BLamar%2BAlexander%2BPkwy%2BTownsend,%2BTN%2B37882&spn=0.955078,1.814860&hl=en>
(865) 448-6647
http://www.clemmerdulcimer.com/pickinporch.asp

Concert @ 7pm, Workshops all day.

First off let me say what a great little "gathering" Pam and Terry Lewis put
together up at Cumberland Gap State Park. Despite the rain, the power
blackout and even the tornado warnings. Everyone had a great time jamming,
learning and eating (good God the food! you could literally eat dessert all
day). I think if you look at the number of "names" that have showed up in
the past for this *free event* you'll see that there's something really
special going on there. I had a great time and can't wait to go back up
there next Mother's Day Weekend.

Okay on to the new. I am gonna be in the Knoxville area this week, tho' you
don't have to be from there to hear me. On Wednesday I will be on WDVX's
"Blue Plate Special," a lunchtime radio concert broadcast from the Knoxville
Visitor's Center. If yr. in Knoxville you can see it in person, it's free.
But if not you can listen online at http://www.wdvx.com/

Then on Saturday I'll be at Mike Clemmer's "Pickin' Porch" Kicking off their
summer concert series. The concert starts at 7pm, but I'll be teaching
workshops in various levels all day. Here's what I'm teaching.
*
Three Chords and the Truth (beg and up)
*"The truth" is you only need about three chords to strum along with most
song, tunes and hymns, and you already learned them when you learned Boil
Dem Cabbage. Will learn a few chords some basic, basic music theory and then
strum along an sing with basic chord progressions that will open the doors
to hundreds of songs.

*If you like one song, you'll like 'em both
*By learning to recognize recurring patterns in songs. as well as recurring
phrases across traditional tunes, you be able to dissect and learn tunes
more quickly, In fact, we'll learn three tunes in one hour.

*Intro to the "box" method
*Using cross-string picking and three finger "boxes" to tame tricky tunes
without simplifying melodies or removing notes. Improve speed and dexterity
without actually playing faster.

One last thing. The May Everything Dulcimer giveaway is a copy of the new
album, an "I Like Sining Folksongs" T-shirt and a copy of the book "12 Great
Tunes (almost) Nobody Plays." It's free and easy to sign up and who knows,
you may win!

Okay that's all of it. Hope to see you guys out there this week.

Those shows again.

Wednesday, May 13th, NOON
*WDVX Blue Plate Special*
Broadcast live from the Knoxville Visitor's Center
Knoxville Visitor Center is a 100-year-old downtown building located at the
corner of Gay Street and Summit Hill Avenue in downtown Knoxville. or you
can listen online at http://www.wdvx.com/

Saturday, May 16th - All day
*Wood-n-Strings Pickin' Porch*
**7645 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy. PO Box383
Townsend, TN 37882
Click Here for an online
Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7645%C2%A0E.%2BLamar%2BAlexander%2BPkwy%2BTownsend,%2BTN%2B37882&spn=0.955078,1.814860&hl=en>
(865) 448-6647