[Butchross] Butch Ross coming to the mid-west.

Butch Ross butch at butchross.com
Tue Sep 24 22:17:49 EDT 2002

Thur, Sept 26, 2002 7:30pm
Phoenix Coffee Co, Cleveland, OH
(216)226-4401 - all ages

Fri, Sept 27, 2002 8:00pm
Uncommon Ground Coffee, Chicago, IL
(773)929-0415
opening for Sue Demel (of Sons of the Never Wrong), Al Day and Dale
Petersohn.

Sat, Sept 28, 2002 8:30pm
Crazy Wisdom Bookstore and Tearoom, Ann Arbor, MI
all ages

Sun, Sept 29, 2002 8:00pm
quiet storm, Pittsburgh, PA
(412)661-9355
http://www.quietstormcoffee.com

So last week I go out and by the Ryan Adams record Gold (because I read
murder books and try and stay hip.) It's only been out for like a year, it's
good, kind of a break up album without a single original idea on it, which
makes it not unlike the first Boston album (and yes you do know what I'm
talking about don't lie) Then I'm reading the PhillyWeekly because y'know
all we have in the bathroom is the 2002 Ikea catalogue and sometimes a man
has just got to sit and think, plus Joey "I'm not angry anymore" Sweeney
gave my record a decent review like 22 years ago and I always feel a sense
of loyalty to those who helped me on the way up (though truth be known I
think NJ's MJ Fine calling me a "rootsier James Taylor" had gotten me more
gigs out of town than J.S's McMurtry analogy ever did) and Mr. Sweeney
-complaining about the fact that rock is in fact not back- says that he's
retreating back to the wussville councilmen like Badly Drawn Boy and, you
guessed it, the non-Canadian Adams.  Adam, my roommate, calls me a wuss
about twice a day, and comparatively he's right (this week he drew a simile
between me as Dick Cheney and himself as the big W, which I can only image
created a ton of intra-personal conflict between his need for a constant
sense of intellectual superiority and his ever-present napoleonic
tendencies) but it's pretty damn hard to take it from Mr. Sweeney (he's EMO
fer chissakes)

So this week the up-with-white-trash-wuss-boy embarks on his first-ever,
mid-west, money-where-my-mouth-is tour. I figure between the 70-minute
"gold" and the new Springsteen record I'll only need 2 CDs to get me through
the trek. * I will be playing all these new places where I have said for
years that my brand of Heartland Rock would pan-out, and now we're gonna
find out if the butcher who will be sitting down** and playing the old songs
to sell the records and laying the new stuff from the forthcoming record on
'em as well (the record is slow in the coming but so far it sounds great. I
hope to have it out by the first of the year, but I wouldn't hold my breath
if I were you)

In the meantime to keep the home fires burning have finally got the live
tracks from England up on Mp3 as well as the photos I took while I was
there. Which are -I have to say- truly pathetic. I am not the next Ansel
Adams (or even a Mapplethorpe wannabe) by any stretch of the imagination and
these bad, bad vacation photos are a living testament to my crapulence. But
for those 2 or 3 of you who are so wrapped up in my cult of personality that
they will do anything they can to live vicariously through me, (Hey a fella
can dream can't he?) They will be at this link.

Dude, this tour looks to be the best of times (Chicago) and the worst of
times (Cleveland) but the onslaught of the Butcher towards alt.folk
domination depends entirely on the good word of mouth of those who have been
so gracious to me lo these many years. So, as usual, I'm sending out the
heartfelt plea for you kind people to put the good word out to those of you
with friends, family, ex-girlfriends, Bob Seger fans, college roommates you
haven't been keeping in touch with, and true music fans in these cities I'm
playing to put in the good word for me. I'm coming and I ain't getting any
tougher.

C-ya out there.

Butch

*Y'know Microsoft (M$) Word will find the word "trekkie" and correct it to
the geek-preferred term "trekker"; the fact that Chris Kattan steals his
hairstyle from the ultra.Geek is merely a harbinger of his lack of talent.
Well at least there's no "here's Pat 2" in pre-production.

**At the suggestion of my booking agent, I'm crapping you negative people

Those shows again (you're still reading this? you must be at work)