[Coco] CoCo 1 keyboard cleanup

Charles Hudson charles484 at twc.com
Mon Dec 20 07:01:08 EST 2021

I would like to address some of the problems I have been experiencing
with my CoCo 1 keyboard.  I understand it was never considered
top-quality but if I can get to the point of having one character per
keypress I'll be happier.  While there are no dead keys some require a
lot of pressure, some are sticky and some double-strike with ease.

I'd like to take it apart and clean it but I don't know much about this
keyboard:  Are the keycaps removable?  What is the mechanism for
recognizing a keypress?  Is it capacitive, like the foil-pad keys on a
Kaypro?  How far can I pull it apart?  Is there anything to look out for?

Thanks for any information.

-CH-