[Coco] 1702 monitor

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 17 23:01:17 EDT 2018

On Thursday 17 May 2018 22:12:27 Mike Delyea wrote:

> Oops, I made a mistake.  The back of the 1702 monitor has 3 rca jacks,
> chroma, luma and audio.

The 1702 predates the standardization of the s-video connector, so that
is not surprising.

> Is it possible to split the composite video
> out of the cc3 into chroma and luma?

No. It must be picked up and exported as two signals. Once its been
combined into composite, all the advantages of the s-video format are
lost forever.

Can you get s-video out of a coco3? Yes but it will be an internal
hooking up in order to get the sum of the 3 rgb outputs for a luminance
output, and the chroma output from the mc1302 color encoder IC in the
tuner box. You ought to get a pretty good image out, but the internal
hookup might be a little worrysome for those who aren't good friends
with a soldering iron.

> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Mike Delyea <mdelyea at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Thanks guys.  Barry, $75?  The monitor isn't worth that much.  I was
> > hoping for something I could hack together - no offense.
> >
> > On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a 42" LG from Wallies in the room Dee has settled in since
> >> she started breaking things, that has one, and the 10 yo SamSung
> >> 22" in my bedroom has one. The LG is maybe 5 or 6 years old.
> >>
> >> I haven't checked newer stuff as ours is working yet.

> >> --
> >> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >> --
> >> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> >>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> >> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
> >>
> >> --

Cheers, Gene Heskett