[Coco] Burke & Burke CoCoXT-RTC under NitrOS9/CoCoSDC

Travis Poppe travispoppe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 00:05:12 EST 2018

All,

I've recently inherited a repacked Color Computer 3 with a lot of real
hardware in it, and I've got a CoCoSDC board installed there. It has a B&B
CoCoXT-RTC board with a couple of hard drives.

For those who are not in the Facebook group, this was given to me by my Dad
for Christmas, and I've been trying to figure out how to make it work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BGRA84hyTF8OHiSk1

If I boot a real floppy with the B&B driver and device descriptor loaded
(/hd), I can at least ping the hard drive with a dir; the LED flashes, but
for reasons unknown to me it claims the device is "not ready," to translate
the error code.

This is frustrating and probably hardware related, but what I can't figure
out is why I can load these exact same modules under NitrOS9 from the
CoCoSDC, do a dir on /hd, and get an "ERROR 207 - RAM Full." I simply
copied these from the OS-9 floppy and loaded them under NitrOS9.

The RAM is nowhere near full (1MB), and there is no corresponding LED blink.

Am I missing a module? I've got BBFhdisk and 'hd' under mdir. Perhaps you
can't simply load OS-9 Level II modules under NitrOS9? Maybe you need to
use os9gen/etc. instead of using 'load'?

I've fortunately got the floppy drives working this way now, which was a
piece of cake once I managed to get a proper disk image to boot. This
particular CoCo 3 is cantankerous and needs to be shut down for a solid few
minutes before it will cooperate with most NitrOS9 images I've tried.

Thank you,
--
Travis Poppe
IRC: tlp on irc.freenode.net