[Coco] Date changes for the current century

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Apr 1 22:26:30 EDT 2018

On Sunday 01 April 2018 22:06:15 Stephen Fischer wrote:

> OK, some time looking at the OS-9 L-II manual I see that what I said
> before is incorrect.
>
> The same six (6) bytes are used in OS-9 and NitrOS-9 for the system
> date and time and five (5) bytes (With no Seconds) for File Date and
> Time.
>
> I have yet to get an NitrOS-9 system running but perhaps 1950 - 1999
> and 2000 - 2050 are chosen or some other dividing point and the
> utilities make been changed to make the decision to add "19" or "20"
> in front.

Day 1 for OS9,like most *nixes, is midnight, 1/1/1970.

Most of the clock chips from that era never dreamed they would still be
in use when their 100's counter rolled over to 0=1900. So since the
memory hadn't been allocated, the clocks that I fixed look at the chip's
year, and if less than 70, added 100. I didn't think any farther, so if
any of them are still running at 12/31/2069, they'll be AFU at midnight.
I'm not gonna be around, and few of you will be either. So its a shrug
to me. If they somehow manage to survive, someone else can fix them to
add 200 if less than 70 or...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)