[Coco] Coco1 and 2 SDC

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 20:13:44 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Ron Delvaux wrote:

> This message goes to the attention of Darren Atkinson.
>
> I have used the SDC without problems now on my Coco3 but noticed I can't
> upload a DSK file to the SDC on the Coco 1 or 2 from drive 1 (after turning
> off drive1)
>
> If you can get a friend or someone to see my 4 videos on Ron's Garage, a
> group on Facebook , I have documented the problem.
>
> Were you able to test the Coco1 and 2 to see if a person is able to upload
> DSK files to the SDC?
>
> I hope I can help!...Hopefully my SDC isn't bad! Or maybe I'm doing
> something wrong?

Ron, when you say "upload DSK files to the SDC" I am assuming you mean copy
a real floppy disk to the SD card using the BACKUP command.  This works on
a CoCo 1 and 2 using any version of SDC-DOS.  I have done it several times
recently while testing the drive motor shut-off problem reported earlier.

The CoCo-SDC hardware does not really play any role in accessing the floppy
drives.  It is simply a matter of the SDC-DOS software switching the active
MPI slot when accessing a drive that has been turned OFF using the DRIVE
command.

If you can't access the floppy drives then I would first suspect there is a
problem with either the floppy controller or the MPI.  You say that it
works with your CoCo 3.  Are you using the same combination of hardware
(MPI, floppy controller, and SDC) with both the CoCo 3 and the CoCo 1 / 2
?  If not, you should see if you can narrow down which item or combination
of items is at fault by moving pieces over from your working system.

- Darren