[Coco] Speech-Sound Cartridge - How to get it working in MAME!!

Steven Wallis stevenw890 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 14:36:28 EDT 2017

The Speech-Sound Cartridge ROMs get put into  \MAME\Roms

If you want to use the floppy drive at the same time as the SSC,
you'll have to use the Multi-pak.  I put the Speech-Sound Cartridge in
slot 3 and the Floppy Disk Controller in slot 4 (this may not matter).

To use the SSC do these steps. I used a disk with the Module Man game as an
example:

1. Insert your game disk in "Floppydisk1".

2. Start the CoCo 2 or 3 emulation.

3. Press [ScrlLock], [Tab], go to "Slot Devices".
    For "ext" select "multi", go to "Reset" & press [Enter].
    (You now have a CoCo running the Multi-pak with Floppy Disk Contr.)

4. Press [ScrlLock], [Tab], go to "Slot Devices".
    For  "ext:multi:slot3" select "ssc", go to "Reset" & press [Enter].
    Note "ext:multi:slot4" already says "fdcv11" (Floppy Disk Cont).
    (You now have a CoCo running the Multi-pak with SSC & FDC.)

5. Type LOADM"MODULE" then "EXEC".  Tell it "Yes" to use the SSC.
    You will hear the guy talking at the menus and all during the game!

GAMES KNOWN TO PRODUCE SOUND EFFECTS AND/OR SPEECH WITH THE SSC IF PRESENT:
Adventure in Mythology
F-16 Assault
Galagon
Gantlet