[Coco] Desoldering tools

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:04:34 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Michael E Kent <mikekent at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> So I am now in the clip and rip club.  I will snip out the processor, pull
> the pins using a regular soldering gun to melt and clean out the obstructed
> holes with my vacuum desoldering station - I have one of the very
> inexpensive chinese units which works well for most desoldering I do such
> as E-Cap removal.

As far as cleaning out the obstructed holes:

I've used a technique that is much simpler than using a vacuum desoldering
station.  On the CoCo, at least, the holes are exactly the right size that
an ordinary straight pin will just fit through.  So I just hold the pin
with a pliers, heat it, and push it through the hole.  After the pin has
cooled sufficiently, while it is still in the hole, I can just wipe off any
solder that has adhered to it with my fingers and pull the pin out.  The
hole is now clear of solder.  Ta da!

Art