[Coco] Desoldering tools

Jim Veneskey coco at bifftech.com
Thu Oct 19 14:44:39 EDT 2017

Re: desoldering chips - assuming you don't want to preserve them, this is
the method I use.

I have a Weller soldering station that I've had since the early 90's, I
think the temp is set to 675F.
It has the same needle (conical) tip that I used when I was doing SMT board
repair for Telxon (long gone)
I also have a heavier non-temp controlled soldering Iron with a wedge tip
that I use for desoldering.

Assuming I don't care to preserve the chip, I will snip the leads as close
to the package as possible, this ensures sufficient mass for my
somewhat unorthodox method of extracting them.

Once the "body" of the chip has been removed, and just the leads remain, I
place something like a large pink eraser on my bench, and flip the board
over (solder side is now up) and lay it so the rows of leads are now close
to the eraser.

The eraser is to ensure the leads I left are now above the surface of the
bench and are not touching it.

It is then a simple matter of using my larger soldering iron to heat up 1-2
leads at a time (applying more solder if needed) while I am now slightly
lifting one end of the board up about an inch over the eraser.
I then simply allow the board drop back down onto the eraser, and inertia
causes the pin to be spat out onto my bench.
The longer the leads, the more mass for inertia to work with.
Once all pins have been ejected in this fashion, then it's usually a simple
task to clean up the holes with a spring loaded solder sucker.

I now put the heavier soldering iron away, and get out my finesse one and
solder a socket in place.
Finally, clean up the area on the board with toothbrush and rubbing alcohol
to get rid of any flux.

 Jim