[Coco] I've killed my CoCo3

Ian Norley ian.norley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 07:53:17 EDT 2017

The best way is to use a desoldering gun. You can get a decent one for home
for not much cost but as per usual YMWV. I still don't have one and like
you I clipped mine, desoldered and then cleaned the holes but using a cheap
solder sucker. I would steer clear of the solder wick for this type of
operation unless you can be quick with the heat. Prolonged heat will lift
the pads. If you have a desoldering gun you will probably be able to remove
the chip without damaging it.
The other thing is to give the solder wick the best chance it can - clean
the area you're working on with IPA and then brush some flux on the pads
and the solder wick. Still, I'd rather not use it for this given the
fragility of a 35 year old board.
I knocked up a bit of a tut of how I do it here
https://sites.google.com/site/episodesintime/coco-maintenance/6809-to-6309-upgrade
Some people like to get a bit carried away believing there is only one way
to ever do something but let's be pragmatic about it - this stuff isn't
going into orbit. What I've got there will do the job, of course the onus
is on the person doing the job to be careful with the tools and methods
used. Anyway just adding it here as I haven't seen anywhere else that gives
a run down. If you get anything out of it then great. Good luck with future
operations.

Ian...