[Coco] A Thanksgiving Present to Coco/DriveWire4 users

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 09:44:37 EST 2017

James, no protection of multiple writes to the same sector. This is just a convenience for moving files. I keep one VHD that I use for just sharing, so it's not being "used regularly" by any device.
It's kind of hard to use two machines at once (yes, I know it can be done), but for my purposes, this works fine. Also, even DW4 will bog down (and can possibly crash) at this point if multiple machines are sending/receiving data at once...
I use VCC as I write all my code in C. Since there is no C cross compiler (No, CMOC won't do what I do, and is not NitrOS9), I develop entirely on the Coco. Anyone who has used the OS9 C compiler to any extent knows how slow compilation is. Using VCC, I can overclock to 87mhz and compiling MShell's 150+ sources takes about 1-2 minutes as compared to 11-12 hours on a real Coco. So in a matter of minutes, I can compile a test run and have it running on my coco3. My makefiles automatically throw a copy of the finished bin files into a dir on the share drive, so it's immediately available on my Coco3 or Coco3FPGA for copying into my cmds dir.
This is just another option for those running multiple machines/emulators and is less hassle to set up using just a single GUI.
And William... I see no reason to have both versions... The only thing really missing from this version is the builtin browser and I have found that most FTPs have now gone to "anti-bot" logins and are not allowing direct downloads any longer. The browser is almost useless.
As for internal compatibility, 4.3.4e s 100% compatible to 4.3.3o as they were developed from the same core code at the same time. So there is no advantage in having both... In fact, the Windows version of 4.3.3o was problematic in several things when setting up multiple instances and things had to be "fudged" to get it to work. This was the very reason Aaron sent me 4.3.4e. That and I was having problems with my dw cmd syntax and I needed the V-Port sniffer to see what was going on.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com