[Coco] raspberry pi 3 model b to coco serial cable

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 17:47:33 EDT 2017

Randy,

You are right there is a mini UART on the Raspberry Pi's.  That though is a
TTL 3.3V UART.  If you want to use those with the RS232 bitbanger port on
the CoCo1/2/3 you will need to use a level shifter from TTL to RS232
standard specifications.  Like a MAX3232 chip.

RS232 has ranges of -25V to +25V depending on the status of the bit.  Those
kind of voltages would damage the Raspberry Pi's GPIO if you directly
connected them to the CoCo's bitbanger without the level shifter.

It is important to always ask questions on serial devices as there are many
types of serial and they are not always compatible with each other without
a specific converter/adapter chip.

Here is a example of a RS232 DB9 to RS232 4 PIN DIN cable for the CoCo.
http://www.colorcomputer.net/serialcable.php

I hope this helps.

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |