[Coco] KenTon - determining size of SCSI hard drive? (RGB-DOS HD-UTILS)

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 09:29:57 EST 2017

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 8:24 AM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
>
> If all you want to do is determine the formatted size of the OS-9 partition on your hard drive, just use Free. Unless you intend to low level format some hard drives, you shouldn't need to know more than is in LSN0 of the OS-9 partition.

But that's only useful if it's previously formatted at the correct size. In this case, I don't actually know how many sectors the drive has. :-(

> You could always look up the specs on the drive via the Internet.

Good idea. I did, but am only finding "135 MB". And I know that's marketing MB, 1000/bytes per.

I know it's really a 128MB, but I don't know exactly how many sectors. I did find a few pages on it, including one as recent as 2011, but they don't mention sectors.

I manually wrote out to 7FFFF sectors, I think, before errors, so I guess that's it. It's a few sectors larger than what OS-9 can use, but dEd was still able to get that far.

		-- Allen