[Coco] CoCoTALK! podcast all caught up!

Steve Strowbridge ogsteviestrow at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 20:05:29 EDT 2017

Salvador thanks for your feedback, and very accurate synapses of what
CoCoTALK! is :)

It's a conversation/train wreck waiting to happen, it's very free form,
completely unscripted, with only a lose structure.  Some weeks we have a
planned topic or guest presenter, others we don't.
Despite the lack of consistent format, we are starting to gel with some
regular segments, we have the newbie question of the week, TechTALK! where
we can get more deep into nuts and bolts on hardware and software, and
Ron's Garage, where Ron Delvaux shows off some of his amazing TRS and Tandy
collection, trust me, it's quite impressive.

And agreeing with your suggestion, I have no plans to change/modify the
show, the show will continue to run/flow/evolve as it has, but I have been
adding "value added content" for listeners, and to do this has taken a
tremendous amount of time on my part to scan through each episode and find
logical times to insert "breaks" and during these breaks is where I add
"Filler" like retro commercials, plugs for a few local coco related sites
and communities, etc.

It has occurred to me, that listening to a show that's 2+ hours that the
ears need a minute to pause, and have the audio palette shifted.  A great
example of how this is being done very well is all of the additional
content that Mike Rowen has been producing for the CoCo Crew Podcast.

The fillers I'm creating aren't on that level, and probably will never be,
but I do want to put breaks about every 20-30 minutes, to run a vintage
commercial, play a bumper, etc.

What am I doing now to make the audio conversion and transition easier, is
to have these bumpers, commercials, musical clips, etc., cued up in my live
broadcasting software so future shows will have intentional breaks every
20-30 minutes, one of these spots will run, and we'll pick right back up,
but for me, little-to-no extra work will be required to edit future shows
to become audio shows, just some cleanup, silence removal, dead air
removal, etc.  So quite honestly, it's just improving how I do it the first
time, to reduce additional labor afterwards, some people call that "Working
smarter" I'm honest and just admit that I'm lazy.

Having the time to listen to the shows, has given me ideas on things to do
for future shows that will hopefully add more interesting content and clips
that will benefit both viewers and listeners, so I'm thinking on a few
different levels, but my focus and priority is that the show is really a
live video talk show, and it's best enjoyed when you're watching and
participating live.  The audio podcast is a fringe benefit of sorts.

What I am very happy about is that for 23 weeks straight now, we've
averaged about 200 views per week, so for a niche show of a highly special
interest, and one that runs 2-3 hours each week, to get the level of
viewership it does, its very flattering, and what motivates and inspires
myself and the rest of our crew to continue to come up with new ideas and
content.

Muchos Gracias,

Steve Strowbridge, aka
The Original Gamer Stevie Strow