[Coco] Radio Shack Speech-Sound Pak

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue Aug 22 10:54:53 EDT 2017

An internal Speech-Sound Pak in the CoCo 3 would have hardly overshadowed
the Tandy 1000 series. Tandy just didn't want to add extra manufacturing
costs to the CoCo 3, something that plagued the CoCo line from day one. By
the time the CoCo 3 was released, it would be hard to blame them for the
strategy since there was only so much life left in 8-bit computers by that
time, particularly in the US.

It IS a pity that the Speech-Sound Pak didn't receive more overall support,
though, but then that's to be expected with something like that. As a point
of comparison, the similar-in-concept Mockingboard (and compatibles) on the
Apple II received support from less than two dozen games and
utilities/productivity software.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and