[Coco] CoCo 2 Repair Help

Frank Thompson frank.thompson.iv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 22:00:22 EDT 2017

That is really interesting to hear!  I really was suspicious of the seller,
and really thought that I was getting scammed.  I wasn't too worried since
e-bay policies heavily favor the buyers.  I figured the worst I'd be out
was some time and energy.  I was really surprised when I got back from a
trip I was on and the computer was waiting at my doorstep!

The first thing I did was to inspect the warranty label on the bottom and
it was intact, so I thought I was good to go.  Later, I tried actually
booting it up and then I realized it was a dud.

I have my suspicions as well about these units.  I asked the seller why he
sold the same computer three times (three completed e-bay auctions with the
same pics) and he simply said he had a lot of these.  It makes sense if
these were returns to the store, or somehow seconds.  I definitely got a
different one than what was in the pictures in the e-bay auction though
since the one I got had the actual (matching) serial number tag still stuck
on the outside of the box.

At any rate, the soldering doesn't bother me, I'm just bummed that I had to
punch through that warranty label.  It is no longer a virgin system.  Oh
well.  The case and keyboard are beautifully clean and white still.  :)   I
just hope it really is the RAM and not something else.  But honestly, there
aren't that many more IC's on this thing, so eventually I'll get to the
bottom of it.

I'll have to read up on the yellow bars issue... that is a new one to me.