[Coco] On John Linnville's Color Computer Game Master Cartridge Design

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Wed Aug 2 20:47:28 EDT 2017

On 8/2/2017 7:40 PM, Zippster wrote:
> Well that’s just like…  using a nuke to swat a fly!   :)
>
> Seriously though, while I wouldn’t put a CPLD on a board just to interface that TI chip,
> a small one isn’t necessarily (severe) overkill even on just a ROM cart with a sound chip.
>
> Considering you can handle your address decoding, add a couple of registers and some
> banked flash ultra easy at the same time, while reducing overall chip count.
>
> I do understand that some people enjoy simple solutions and keeping the components
> old school though, and I can respect that.
>
> I just love mixing the old and new together myself.
For me, it's economics. Sadly, TTL are starting to be $.25-.50/unit, and
by the time you've put 4 or so on the board, you're sliding into
xc9536xl or 9572xl costs, offering more functionality and a chance to
fix a mistake after production, at no additional cost.

As Ed notes, it's not "pure" (though GALs and such existed in the 80's),
but I've yet to see someone turn a design away because it had newer
components on it.

Jim