[Coco] [coco] The German Tank Problem and estimating the number of color computers made

Jayeson Lee-Steere cocolistemail at titaniumstudios.com
Sat Oct 22 00:12:52 EDT 2016

Coco serial numbers do not appear to be sequential across model variations
and/or markets. For example, I've seen an E-board Coco 1 with serial number
well down into the D-board serial number range.

However I thought I'd give it a try with Coco 3's since there are
relatively few variations. I dug around my stash and pics on the net to
come up with this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12UCzkGX7SALJKt20W8_JO5b8PmF5hPsmzjHv4n-kUMM/edit?usp=sharing

There isn't enough data to tell whether there are gaps in the ranges,
except for the large gap between Korean and USA manufactured machines.
Canadian market machines have this rather different metalized tag with the
serial number stamped rather than printed. I suspect these numbers do fit
into the NTSC numbering sequence, assuming the unhelpful first "1" digit
was dropped. Perhaps it was too hard to stamp the extra digit.

It is not clear to me whether the PAL machines are part of the NTSC
sequencing, or their own independent sequence. The ranges do overlap.