[Coco] 5 Simple Math Problems No One Can Solve (Kip Koon)

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:53:00 EDT 2016

Wikipedia makes this observation, about the lack of counterexamples in
testing up to large numbers:

The conjecture has been checked by computer for all starting values up to 2
60.[15]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture#cite_note-Silva-15> All
initial values tested so far eventually end in the repeating cycle (4; 2;
1), which has only three terms. From this lower bound on the starting
value, a lower bound can also be obtained for the number of terms a
repeating cycle other than (4; 2; 1) must have.[16]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture#cite_note-Garner-16> When
this relationship was established in 1981, the formula gave a lower bound
of 35,400 terms.[16]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture#cite_note-Garner-16>

This computer evidence is not a proof that the conjecture is true. As shown
in the cases of the PĆ³lya conjecture
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%B3lya_conjecture>, the Mertens
conjecture <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mertens_conjecture> and the Skewes'
number <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skewes%27_number>, sometimes a