[Coco] 5 Simple Math Problems No One Can Solve (Kip Koon)

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Oct 19 14:08:39 EDT 2016

Hugo, it is very interesting to me that it is so difficult to prove yet
anyone with a little understanding knows that it is true. It just goes
to show you that scientific proof is not always what it's cracked up to
be.  You could easily write a computer program that would test all
positive integers up to the limitation of the size of the integer by the
computer and I'm sure it's already been done. And I'm sure that for as
long as this problem has been around someone has tested it up to some
pretty large numbers without finding a contradiction.  So we 'know' the
conjecture to be true yet we cannot prove it.

The discussion could easily become a religious one since there are many
concepts which can not be scientifically proven but certain people know
them to be true.  As human beings we seek to prove or disprove things
according to our nature.  But when things are outside of our nature
things start to get crazy!

Dave