[Coco] Case for the Glenside IDE board

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Oct 6 02:50:14 EDT 2016

> On Oct 5, 2016, at 17:06, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2016, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>

>>> On Oct 4, 2016, at 04:55, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Where can I find the design file for this case?
>>
>> http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1763771
>
> Do I send all those files in for printing, or just a subset?  Not clear what they represent nor what the options might be.

The *.stl files are probably what you would need to send in. I don't know about whatever service you plan to use; I've only used the Shapeways service.

The .stp files are for anybody who might want to load the design into mechanical CAD software to modify it. It sounds like you don't need to care about those.

> I'm having particular difficulty parsing this:
>
> <quote>
> Print without support. Print bottom half with bottom surface against build platform, and print top half with top surface against build platform.
>
> I've added an optional end support for this very long cartridge.
> </quote>
>
> Print without support?  As opposed to.. what?  But there's an optional support as well?

Ok, I can see where that can be confusing. There are two completely different uses of the word "support" there.

> Or, is the word support being overloaded.

Exactly!

"Print without support" refers to not needing extra support structures to be added during printing to keep overhanging areas from sagging. That would be meaningful to somebody who knows how to drive a 3D printer. Conversely, it's not your problem if you're not the one printing it. Uh, let's see if I can find some random link that might explain it better than I can... Ok, maybe this video will shed some light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1BJxGGQ4E&ab_channel=3DPlatform

"I've added an optional support..." refers to another thing that I designed to prop up the end of that long case during use. You can have it printed, or not, at your option. It's the funky T-shaped thing in the very last rendered image. There are three separate things that I uploaded to Thingiverse: 1) bottom half of case 2) top half of case 3) optional pedestal thingy to support the end of the case.

>  I'm assuming that I can have this printed by Thingiverse.

I see they have a link for having things printed, but I've never tried doing that. I've only used Thingiverse for two things: 1) sharing 3D-printable designs for other people to do whatever they want with, and 2) downloading other designs from other people for printing on my own printer.

>  Is there a major difference in price between doing that and finding some other fab house?

Sorry, I don't know. The only 3D printing service I have used is Shapeways. I would expect this case to be quite expensive through them because of its size.

> Don't mean to be dense, but I know zero, zilch, nada about 3d printing and simply would like to avail myself of a case.

It can be a steep learning curve at first!

> Thanks for any help getting a clear mental picture.

Did the above help at all?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/