[Coco] gcc-explorer with gcc6809 and CMOC

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 20:03:58 EDT 2016

gcc-explorer [1] is written by Matt Godbolt and gives you an editor
window where you write C code while the resulting assembly is
displayed near real-time in side panes. You can have several compilers
and compiler settings active and compare the different outputs as you
type.

This is certainly cool if you are interested or obsessed about
compilers and optimization :)

gcc-explorer displays in a browser and can be run as a web service,
but is also simple to set up on your own machine. At least if you run
Ubuntu 16 (I haven't tried any other platform).

With a few steps I added gcc6809 and CMOC to the compilers. For the
latter I wrote a simple wrapper [2] that translates command line
options. A screenshot can be found here:

http://toolshed.sourceforge.net/gcc-explorer/gcc-explorer5.png

A short write-up on how to install and run, including a small "exercise":

http://toolshed.sourceforge.net/gcc-explorer/gcc6809-tutorial

Thanks to Matt for sharing this tool!

Best regards,
Tormod