[Coco] Max baud rate for 68681 in MM/1?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Jan 31 23:26:27 EST 2016

On 01/31/2016 08:44 PM, Kip Koon wrote:
> Hi Joel,
> This is a link for the MC68681 datasheet.
> < http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/4164/MOTOROLA/MC68681.html>
> The maximum speed is 1Mbps.  That should have been a lower case 'b'.

That's kinda what I was thinking.  The question remains as to whether
the MM/1 can run the 68681 at a higher baud rate than 34,800, and if so,
is it likely to lose characters.  Part of why I'm asking the question is
that I'm wondering about the feasibility of doing Drivewire over the
68681 serial ports.  On the CoCo, 115Kbps is achieved through great
trickery and masking interrupts for however long it's necessary.  This
seems to work acceptably well in NitrOS-9.  The ordinary floppy driver
halted the CPU for a while, waiting for a sector.  The major side-effect
of this was that the software clock would lose time, hence the
desirability of no-halt FDCs, like Disto's.  Drivewire largely makes up
for this problem by giving the CoCo access to the DW server's clock.
The MM/1 has a DS1287 on the I/O board (with the 68681) which probably
doesn't have a very good battery anymore after 20 years.  I don't know
how often the clock module reads from the RTC -- is it only at boot time?

My other thought is that there are some fairly inexpensive
serial<->ethernet adapters out there with hardware TCP/IP. But it would
sure be nice to have just a little more speed than 34,800bps.

JCE