[Coco] Max baud rate for 68681 in MM/1?

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Sun Jan 31 22:16:55 EST 2016

I have personally used a 68C681 UART in a 68HC11-based system that
transmits DMX512 theatrical standard lighting data at 250 kbps
(RS422/485).  It is tried and proven and currently running in about 400
different locations in the US and a few other countries.  It is using a
4 MHz clock as the BRG.

Dave

On 1/31/2016 3:33 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:
> I read ambiguous information about the 68681 on the MM/1's I/O board.
> Does anybody have a definitive word?  Page 2-5 of the MM/1 technical
> manual claims that it can be run at "1 megabytes per second"
> (seriously 8M bits/sec?), but the table on page 9-2 and the text on
> 9-2 state that the maximum baud rate is 34,800.  Is this a pragmatic
> maximum based on the CPU's ability to service the DUART's on-chip
> buffers without interrupt-masking trickery, is it the real hard
> maximum for the 68681, or is it a hard maximum imposed by the MM/1's
> hardware?  Anybody have any insight?
>
> JCE

---