[Coco] Formatting L.R. Tech Hard Drive in OS9 Level II

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 21:10:41 EST 2016

Mark, try Nitros9 L2 and use the superdriver "rbsuper" along with it's sub, "llktLr" (it may have to be custom built). This is the scsi driver for bot kenton and lr tech. In fact, the TC^3 driver "may" work (all 3 are scsi drivers). You will need to know the drive specs to set up the descriptors, but once set, these drivers are almost automatic. I use the ide versions for my 2 x 4gig partitions on my glenside ide. The super driver white paper and TC^3 manual on cloud9's site will be helpful.
 Setting up boot disks for HDs in OS9 is no trivial matter and not for the faint at heart for sure... it's a confusing process.

And YES, the nitros9 format cmd WILL do low level formatting. That part of the process is part of the drive and controller, not the OS. The OS just needs to know the proper cmds to issue and when the right driver is used, NitrOS9 knows the right cmds :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com