[Coco] FORTH for OS-9

Christopher Fox cbfox01 at syr.edu
Mon Feb 29 08:48:48 EST 2016

I’ve played around with FORTH a bit. It’s a cool language. As it turns out, OpenFirmware has a FORTH shell front-end, and I’ve done some programming with it on old PowerMacs. Boot a PowerMac into OpenFirmware, and you’ve got a FORTH shell with some surprising flexibility. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get in-line assembly language to work in that environment to “hand-tune” some code that would benefit from using the “Velocity Engine” (aka Altivec) on the old PowerPC G4 chips.

Christopher