[Coco] New CoCo'er, Some Q's and looking for hardware

admin at kd8cgo.com admin at kd8cgo.com
Wed Feb 24 15:09:00 EST 2016

Hello All,

I'm a proud owner of a never-used CoCo3 that I received from a friend in
the mid 90's - I had never even heard of a CoCo up to that point.  I had
some minor experience with a C64, and started out on a XT clone when I
was a kid.  Never used the CoCo myself either, as I had no software for
it.  I just plugged it into a TV to test it, ran a few "Hello, World!"
programs I keyed in and that was it.  Anyway, I was going through the
basement cleaning and stumbled across it this week.

I have no hardware or cartridges for it, so I assumed it was destined
for the scrap heap along with a lot of my other old PC junk.  Did a
quick search and found a *very* surprising level of interest and support
for these here on the list archives and elsewhere.  I started tinkering
with it, got Drivewire4 fired up on a old laptop with a serial port, and
loaded the first program to ever grace this CoCo - HDB-DOS and then
NitrOS9.  I can't read the screen when booted into NitrOS9, so that will
have to wait, but I have been working through the Tandy Color Extended
Basic book in HDB-DOS so I can save my .BAS files for later.

I'd like to do the Cloud-9 memory upgrade to 512K and get some proper
cables to replace these cobbled together jumpers I made to load the .WAV
file and the serial port cable. It seems like they do not have a order
shopping cart though, just an email address, is that normal?  I thought
they might be out of business or closed for now, given the lack of a
normal purchasing order form.

I am also looking for some sort of VGA monitor adapter, I've found some
references to a Roy Justus adapter, there is some PCB available on
Amazon that says it will convert RGB, and also I found another 15Khz one
on http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html that looks like it could be
coaxed into working.  I also found some mention of a run of RGB2VGA
boards that will hook up to something called a DE0 Nano in the archives
here on pair.net, but I didn't find out much about that or the Roy
Justus thing, or if you can even get them anywhere.  Advice here
appreciated.

Basically I'd like to get this up and running and be able to do some
BASIC programming, experiment with the NitrOS9 software, maybe load a
few ROMs.  I'm trying to figure out how to convert a normal image file
JPG/GIF/PNG/BMP into something I can use in a BASIC program on the
system, but so far no luck solving that problem.  I might be able to use
NitrOS9 if I could figure out how to change the screen colors - I can
(barely) read the screen on WIDTH 80 if I use PALETTE 0,0:PALETTE 8,16
in HDB-DOS or Color Basic.  Eventually it would be cool to connect the
CoCo to the outside world, but I think I'll need NitrOS9 running with
DW4 for that.  Sounds like BASIC09 might have some advantages over Color
Basic, too...

Sorry for the long first post & TIA!

--John, kd8cgo