[Coco] CoCo Projects

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Tue Feb 23 23:05:25 EST 2016

On 2/23/2016 7:43 PM, Michael Brant wrote:
> Jim, that is good to hear about the MPI. you may have discussed this but
> was there any consensus on a case for your MPI?
Yes, I owe a few folks on the list a CAD drawing of the PCB so they can
design cases.  A fewother issues have slowed me up for the past few
weeks, but I'll get it posted soon.
> And is it still going to
> be able to support more than 4 carts if a second board is connected?
Well, it will support 4 more carts, but on has to realize that there are
some restrictions in how things work:

MPI only massages SCS and CTS lines (well, and cart lines coming back,
but...).

So, for carts that fully decode their addressing or are outside the SCS
or CTS addresses spaces, the additional ports mainly serve to create
more potential conflicts.   Namely, the more carts you have on the bus,
the more likely two of them will decode to the same place in $ffxx and
thus not work together

I thought about modifying the design to gate additional bus lines to
each slot (A0-A15, SLENB, and maybe R/W, but not Q or E since the cart
might need a steady clock signal for something), and might still do it
(I could emulate the original MPI by enabling the buffers on all slots
initially, and putting all of the SLENB lines on a wired/or config).

But, I hesitate due to the potential SW problems.  Some applications are
designed to expect a HW device to be "always" there.  For instance,
since the Glenside IDE does not trigger off of SCS (I think it should
have, but that ship sailed long before I showed up), IDE is available no
matter witch slot is selected.  Thus, if the user truly "isolates" the
slots, then the IDE HW (HDBDOS, I assume) will start failing unless the
specific slot that contains the IDE controller is selected.

Jim