[Coco] ok i am learning but not fast enough

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 14:23:56 EST 2016

Tormod, the whole idea of HDBDOS/RGBDOS and OS9 being on the same VHD/HD is that a user has access to both and a choice as to which he wants to use at any given time without switching VHD or "DRIVE#"... Not just a way to get to OS9. If one wanted to JUST use OS9, then yes, DW4DOS would be the way to go.
And the original post was about using the RGBDOS VHD on a real Coco which IS populated by both RSDOS and OS9 software, not just about booting straight into OS9. That image is equipped with a EmuDsk boot and they wanted to replace it with a boot for DW4 so they could use BOT RSDOS and OS9 on their real Coco. The post wasn't about just about booting into OS9.

No, EmuDsk is not a true emulation, it is a leftover of a quick hack by Alan deKok from Jeff Vavsour's Coco3 emulator, which was the first Coco emulator and has been used by everyone since (including Mess and Vcc), BUT the whole idea of the RGBDOS/HDBDOS/OS9 IS an emulation of a real Coco system.
The Kenton hard drive (from which this whole concept is derived) used RGBDOS (from which the current RGBDOS and HDBDOS are derived) and allowed (on a real Coco & SCSI HD) the RSDOS & OS9 partition on a single HD, exactly as it is presented in the RGBDOS/HDBDOS/OS9 dual partition VHDs.

VCC has had the "Glenside IDE" emulation since v1.42, and it is a hardware emulation. It works identical to the Glenside and SuperIDE controllers and allows both master and slave VHDs. Just use the "SuperIDE.dll". It will use the non-dw4/becker "HDBLBA.rom" version of HDBDOS without modification.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com