[Coco] ok i am learning but not fast enough

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:23:43 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Tormod, there a whole lot more to it than just that disk. This is why there needs to be a turtorial and a place to get it all...
> A disk like this first needs hdbdos and a dual partitioned vhd. This disk is backed up to disk 255. You must already have the os9 part of the vhd populated and have yor OS9Boot file there. So your disk and a 2md disk with a complete boot must be generated to have a source to copy to the OS9 partition. You want the kernel and OS9Boot generated from the same source set.

The disk image I posted allows you to boot NitrOS-9 directly from
RSDOS (or HDBDOS) without having an RSDOS/HDB-DOS partition on the
virtual hard drive nor on the virtual floppy. The DOS command will
read the kernel from the floppy and its embedded emudsk boot driver
will locate the os9boot file on the virtual disk drive.

I don't see the need for mixing HDBDOS into this, if you just want to
run NitrOS-9.

Again, I understand the usefulness of the HDBDOS/OS-9 combination on a
real system with one hard drive and no floppy. But since you are using
an emulator and not even emulating the hard drive but using an
emulator-only device I don't see the need to make things so
complicated, at least for starters just wanting to run NitrOS-9 on
VCC. If you want as closely as possible to emulate the complexity of
the real one-hard-drive system that is a different case. But then you
would want to emulate the real hard drive. BTW, XRoar has experimental
support for the Glenside IDE interface, maybe of interest to VCC
developers.

And, if we are talking about real machines running DriveWire (I think
that was the original poster's intention) and not emulators, you have
multiple drives on the DriveWire server so there is no reason for
splitting drives even if you want both HDBDOS and NitrOS-9.

It seems that many people like to do this. I am just pointing out that
it is not needed, in case some people think they have to do it this
way.

Tormod