[Coco] RGBDOS, HDBDOS, and key repeat

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Feb 12 17:46:54 EST 2016

Barry Nelson wrote:
> Well, unless I am mistaken, my HDBDOS rom is 8K, and there is room for 16k, so it should fit. How can I splice this in? Also, I have had some issues getting HDBDOS running on my CoCo 1, what is the right rom to use there? Also, if I didn’t mind the slower speed, could I run the same HDBDOS rom for a CoCo 1 on a CoCo 3?

Barry,
You might just be able to squeeze the code into the hdbdw3cc3.rom but not all of
them. While you can use 16k ROMs, you need some special code to switch between
the disk ROM and SEB code which is in the range from $E000-$FA0B.
The source code for HDBDOS is available so try writing the extra necessary code.

The ROM for a Coco1 should be hdbdw3cc1.rom. You probably can't use the Coco1
ROM on a Coco3 as the I/O bytes to change clock speed are different. You can
always test the .bin LOADM version and see if it works.

The key repeat code in RGBDOS was called from $D8CD. That normally is a
JMP $8955. The end of the repeat code does a JMP $8955. It looks like HDBDOS has
the JMP in the same location in hdbdw3cc3.rom.

Robert