[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Tue Nov 24 21:02:42 EST 2015

"doing things to disks that Windows does not like"
And that is the problem with any OS that puts in way too many levels of abstraction and restrictions. Instead of Windows, it should be called Sandbox.
Anecdote: Everyone run to the hills. Back in the early 90s a client needed a complex data gathering app, complete with a backup to floppy option (yup,it was that long ago). And it had to be encrypted. After much work and debugging I came up with a process that wrote directly to the floppy's sectors. I came up with my own file system. I compressed the data and broke it down into sectors. The end result was a floppy that could not be read by anything except the restore process. Then Windows came along and I had to scrap everything because I could no longer write to the disk the way I wanted. We were hoping to use this process for all of our software, but it was the time when Windows became standard office equipment and my process now sits somewhere on some archived backup aging along with its creator.
I understand the need for abstraction, but find it hard to live with an OS that limits what the developer can do.
Regards, Salvador