[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Tue Nov 24 12:13:30 EST 2015

In my perception, MS went with a fad. They saw how two products. Android and iOS were being successful, so they based their next OS on the Next Big Thing, not being aware that the new paradigm was a fad popular among phone users, not a robust path following by the business user (desktops and laptops).
Win 8 was an odd beast because phone users were enamored with Android and iOS and barely took notice of the new MS tiled interface. Business users cried foul because their desktop was replaced by a bunch of tiles more commonly found in user interfaces for toddlers. MS, lost to reality embarked on Windows 9, the Next Big Win 8. It was until 8.1 that they realized that the general populace was not adopting their Windows phones (although the characters in Hawaii 5-0 used these religiously) and business users were not flocking to the new interface that they made Win 9 come to a screeching halt, overhauling the UI to what is now Win 10.
I did not use Win 8 enough, so I can't attest to its robustness as an operating system, but my experiences as a user were frustrating, where I struggled to do tasks that seemed effortless in previous versions. I'll admit that Win 8 was configurable to make it behave like those previous version, to a certain point, but I never took the time to fully research and learn how to configure it.

I am always willing to adopt new technology and paradigms, but I need to find these productive for my own tasks and objectives. Salvador