[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Sat Nov 21 10:48:52 EST 2015

I've had mostly good experiences with the upgrade, all of which were done
as in-place upgrades either from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Upgraded systems
include two Surface Pro 3s, one Surface Pro 2, an Asus Ultrabook, an
iBuyPower Desktop, an older Sager gaming laptop, and a Lenovo Yoga, among
others. The only one I ran into a hiccup with was the older Sager Gaming
laptop, which didn't find a working video driver at first. In that case I
had to manually download the correct Nvidia driver. After that, it worked
perfectly. My father-in-law also had a cheap Dell tablet that didn't want
to upgrade from 8 to 10 because there were no available drivers for some of
the stuff. Fortunately, it knows when it fails and just reverted back to
the old OS.

Windows 10 is definitely better on non-touch systems (and even touch
systems like the Surface Pro 3, where I can decide when I want an app, like
the Kindle app, to run full screen or not), and you don't even have to use
something like Classic Shell anymore (I mostly used Start8). The Start menu
is close enough to the old way of doing things on OS's like Windows 7.

It seems that so far, most things are fully compatible (at least I haven't
run into anything that doesn't work). I haven't personally run into any
issues, which is expected, since this is really just a minor evolution over
the already rock solid Windows 7 and 8.1.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and