[Coco] Imaging MM/1 Floppy Disks

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Dec 31 17:58:27 EST 2015

I'm trying to image some MM/1 floppy disks, and not having any success
yet.  The Toolshed documentation suggests using setfdprm from the
fdutils package to configure /dev/fdX for a CoCo floppy disk.  In the
example, it uses a preset definition:  coco40ds which I can't find
anymore.  In any case, the MM/1 format is different. However, using the
documentation here: http://www.fdutils.linux.lu/Fdutils.html#SEC22 I
came up with a plausible setfdprm command:

sudo setfdprm sect=33 hd ssize=256 cyl=80.

The syntax seems to be accepted.  This page:
http://www.fdutils.linux.lu/disk-id.html suggests that one should then
be able to use

cat /dev/fd0 >image.dsk

to write the image file.  When I try this, it fails with an Input/Output
error, writing 0 bytes to the file.  I also tried

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=image.dsk bs=256

and got the same results.  I tried two different disks and got the same
results.  The first one I tried is a freshly formatted, previously
unused disk that I backed up a boot floppy onto on the MM/1 with no
error reported on the backup.  When I did the backup, it first
complained that the formats weren't identical.  A vague recollection
returned that the boot disks were formatted to 33 sectors, while the
device descriptors for /d0 and /d1 are set for 37 sectors.  Presumably
the boot ROM expects 33 sector disks.  There is a floppy disk format
table in the MM/1 Technical Manual that describes the MM/1 format as 33
sectors.  So I used dmode to change the sct and t0s to 33, and
reformatted the floppy.  Then backup was happy to copy the disk.

The drive I'm using to try to make the image can read a FAT formatted
floppy that I can also read on the MM/1, so I'm pretty confident it
isn't a hardware issue.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

JCE