[Coco] Homebrew CoCo Games

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 15 14:02:00 EST 2015

On 15/12/2015 10:20 PM, Francis Swygert wrote:

> I'd like to say I remembered all that which is why I mentioned an output jack, but I can't! I vaguely recalled some programming overhead required for sound, but no clue as to why. You guys are the REAL programmers, I just played at it, and only text based stuff back when I did. Played a little sound bit I found at the beginning of a program, but nothing else going on for that 2-3 seconds.Never did learn graphics programming.
>   Frank Swygert

Yeah. I have never had a need to access the SND IN audio since it
required an external sound device but I was hoping that the sound was
simply mixed with the DAC sound output. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Tandy's routing of signals is a bit awkward. The DAC was a great feature
but didn't go far enough to exploit it even better for sound.

I have some good interrupt driven 2 channels routines but the low sample
rate and CPU overhead required is it's limiting factor for realtime
applications such as games.

For many it may not seem so much a problem but for anyone who has played
games on a Commodore or Atari, the CoCo's limitations are clearly evident.

Nick