[Coco] Homebrew CoCo Games

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 13 23:40:50 EST 2015

On 14/12/2015 2:18 PM, Zippster wrote:

> Does Altera have any 5v tolerant CPLDs in production?  It was my impression they didn’t.
> Of course it’s not a real big deal, but it’s certainly handy when using them with old 5v logic.

The MAX 3000 series is 5V tolerant, and still available to purchase, but
I can't find any information that suggests it's still in production. I
suspect not, because IIRC later versions of Quartus do not support it.
However you can probably still get hobbyist quantities without any problems.

> Speaking of different manufacturers, the Lattice Semiconductor MachXO2 FPGAs look interesting.
> Small FPGAs with the configuration memory built in, kind of bridging the gap between CPLDs
> and full-blown FPGA devices.  Could be convenient when a CPLD is almost, but not quite
> enough.

My friend & ex-colleague just finished a job with a Lattice SOC FPGA. He
wasn't impressed with it at all, not being able to get the on-chip I2C
going after 3 days, and then getting the opencores version running in
1/2hr. But YMMV.

Regards,