[Reynolds-L] REYNOLDS Digest, Vol 10, Issue 2

Tommy Reynolds tommyecommerce at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 19:37:40 EST 2015

Hello Vivian and others:

In addition to the discussion chain below, I came across several
emails/messages in rootsweb archives that you sent to lists on topics
related to James Reynolds and Susannah Malone of Lunenburg & Halifax, VA,
and Greene Co., GA.

While I can't answer the questions you posed about James Reynolds's
origins, I want to make contact as it appears we might be researching the
same James.

Recently, the project administrator(s) at the FTDNA Reynolds surname
project matched my kit (#329139) with the kit you discussed (#94373) in
your 1/2/2015 email below. As you discussed, kit #94373 notes their oldest
known paternal ancestor as "James Reynolds, b. in VA, d.c.1820 in GA".
However, since you wrote last January, kit #94373 has been disassociated
from the George Reynolds group. Prior to the administrator matching me with
#94373, I had been languishing in the "Ungrouped" category for quite some
time. Perhaps it was my upgrade to a higher resolution test about a year
ago that made the match possible.

So far, research has only taken me back to a Joseph Reynolds, born about
1819 in southern KY. Joseph married Amanda Gatrill/Gatrell (daughter of
Dennis Gatrill and Agnes Payne) in the early 1840s in Russel Co., KY. Many
internet resources suggest that Joseph is the son of Isaac Reynolds and
Christina Heck of Mason Co., KY, but I have looked high and low and haven't
found evidence to support that relationship. Joseph, his young family, and
allied families (I've followed the group of Simpsons, Dowells,
Higginbothams, McKinneys, Paynes, Gartrells, and others in this migration),
moved from southern KY in the 1840s to south-central Missouri and then
onward to NW Arkansas before the civil war. Several of Joseph's children
moved on from NW Arkansas to NE Texas and southern Oklahoma by about 1900.
I was born in north Texas.

I've done a good deal of research back to Joseph and now look forward to
investigating a possible connection to your James, based on the suggested
DNA match. I suppose I can research the children of James and see if any
relocate to southern KY. Many of my Joseph's associates there were
originally from the Halifax and Pittsylvania counties of southern VA--near
where your James appears to have resided for some time.

Based on some of your other messages, it appears that you may be related
via James's daughter Patsy. I'd appreciate any basic info you have on the
children of your James in order to help my investigation get started.
James's 1822 will lists William, John, James, Nancy, Polly, Patsy, and
Rebeccah as children. It would be a direct male line that may connect your
James to my Joseph. If we can confirm our connection then you can also
benefit from a 111-marker DNA composite of your Reynolds line.

To any other researchers, please feel free to reach out if you're working
on this line. I'm always glad to share.

Best regards and happy holidays,

Tommy
Fairfax, Virginia