[Reynolds-L] Reynolds, Cross-Braswell-Flowers=House-Malone families

vtoole vtoole at myinu.net
Wed Dec 31 13:13:27 EST 2014

To: Roy Hunter and Edgefield list members,
	I see that this was posted directly to the e-mail list.  Is the
Edgefield list "gateway" from the message board?  Some lists and boards are
and some are not; I forget which are which.
	Roy Hunter and I are distant cousins on the Reynolds-Malone lines.
We have corresponded in the past and exchanged some family information, just
not recently.  This is the information that Roy Hunter requested on his
ancestor, Featherston Cross.  Roy and I are related on the James Reynolds
line that has been traced from Lunenburg County, Virginia, to Halifax
County, Virginia, to Oglethorpe & Greene County, Georgia, c. 1796-1798.
	Below I have copied and pasted from my computer genealogy program
what I have typed in about Featherston Cross.  My Reynolds line comes from
Patsy Reynolds who married Samuel Durham April 1801 in Oglethorpe County,
Georgia.  Patsy Reynolds Durham and Elizabeth/Betsy Reynolds Cross were
sisters.  There is a published record in Halifax County, Virginia, for the
marriage of Betsey Reynolds and Featherston Cross.  Some type of published
minister's returns, I forget exactly what at the moment.  This is my
mother's side of the family; she was a Durham from Woodville, Greene County,
Georgia.  I have just recently this fall found someone who has had the YDNA
test done for a surnamed Reynolds male from this line.  So we do have a YDNA
match on this James Reynolds line.
	I have never found any connection for this James Reynolds of
Virginia and Georgia with any of the Reynolds families in Edgefield.
	Just wonder what the connection of this George Cross on the will is
to Featherston Cross who made the will.  Probably a very good lead for
further research for Roy Hunter if he has not done so.
	I am on South Carolina lists  including the Edgefield list for my
father's side of the family who were Tooles from Barnwell in the Upper Three
Runs area now in the Savannah River Project and the Carpenters and their
connections (Whitlocks, Booths, Randal(sp?) and Christians) from the Trenton
area.
	Roy also asked about House surname connections.  Again on my
father's side of the family, the Crow family as in Rev. Sol. Stephen Crow of
Mars Hill Baptist Church area of Clarke and Oconee County, Georgia.  There
are some House and Crow marriages that I have often wondered what the
connection might be to my James Crow.  In the last few years, a YDNA test
for a distant male Crow descendant from My James Crow has been matched to
those of Stephen Crow's line.  Right time, right place, etc. just missing
the paper documents.
Vivian Toole Cates, Mound Prairie, Alto, Texas 75925-5706 1-936-858-3801

Information that came down in the family of Austin Leftwich Reynolds of
Arkansas gives her husband's name as Frederick Cross, but I think the
evidence is fairly clear that he was Featherstone (and various spellings
thereof).

EDGEFIELD COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA, WILLS 1787-1836. By James E. and Vivian
Wooley.  c. 1991, Southern Historical Press, Greenville, South Carolina.
Page 22.
P.76..21 Nov.1794..
In the name of God, Amen.  I, Featherston Cross, of the state of South
Carolina and County of Edgefield, being very sick and weak in body but of
perfect mind and memory, thanks be to God, and calling into mind the
mortality of man and known that it is appointed for all men once to die do
make, ordain, constitute and appoint this my Last Will and Testament.
(Viz.)
First I recommend my soul into the hands of God who gave it and my body I
recommend to the earth, to be buried in decent christian burial, at the
descretion of my executors.  And as for such wordly estate it has pleased
God to bless me with in this life, I give, devise, and dispose of the
following manner and form.
 First I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Elizabeth Cross, one third
part of all my estate both real & personal, then I give to my eldest dtr.
Naney Cross one third of all my estate both real & personal by her to be
freely and fully possessed forever.  As my wife is with child, I hope God
will safe deliver her and preserve it, I therefore give unto my unborn son
or dtr. one third part of my estate both real & personal.  In case either my
wife or chn. should die without issue or heirs the surviving shall receive
their part.  I desire that my crop, horses, cattle hogs or household
furniture should be put to the best advantage in paying my debts.  I will
that my negroes Lucy & Bebb to be sold & the money put to buy other young
negroes for the family.  I appoint John Boyd, Peter Mallone & George Cross
as executors.  Wit:  Drury Mallone & Samuel Boyd.. Signed Featherston X
Cross.. Proved by the oath of Samuel Boyd 13 Mar.1795 & ordered to be
recorded. Recorded March 15 1795.   Will Book A, Page 76.

Edgefield County, South Carolina, Minutes of the County Court 1785-1795.Page
172.
The last will and testament of Featherstone Cross was proved in open court
by the oath of Samuel Boyd and ordered to be recorded   Peter Malone one of
the Exors mentioned in the said was qualified as an Exor. by taking the oath
for that purpose appointed. Ordered that the following persons or any three
of them do appraise the said Estate. To wit:  Samuel Scott, James Thomas,
Daniel Barksdale & Henry Ware.

GREENE COUNTY, GEORGIA LAND RECORDS DEEDS 1785-1810.  Abstracted by Freda
Reid Turner, C. 1997.  Page 188.  Deed Book F.
Page 318:GREENE COUNTY, STATE OF GEORGIA.  Peter Malone, Executor of the
Last Will and Testament of Featherstone Cross, deceased, sold to Richard
Lanson, both of Greene County, on 16 April 1796 for the sum of L(pounds) 50
in hand, a certain negro boy about 12 years of age.  Wit.:  Robert McAlpin
and G. W. Foster.  Recorded 16 April 1796.

A very young Featherstone Cross about the age of the unborn child of the
above will is living only a few doors from James Reynolds (Runnels), Sr. on
the 1820 census of Greene County, Georgia.  Betsey is a nickname for
Elizabeth.