[Reynolds-L] Daniel Jacob Reynolds, Sr (b.c. 1810)-Edgefield District, South Carolina

vtoole vtoole at myinu.net
Sat Dec 20 16:58:26 EST 2014

Dear Mr. Reynolds,

                My first question/suggestion to you is that you need to do a
YDNA test with familytreedna.com in Houston if you or someone of your line
has not done one.  You need to do at least 37 markers.  67 markers is
better.  They have a seasonal sale on until December 31st.  Be sure to go
through the Reynolds surname group for the group discount.

                Yes, the many corrupted spellings for Reynolds make it
difficult to research.

                Also be sure to post to the Reynolds message board and
subscribe to the Reynolds surname list at rootsweb.com  It is free.  Also
the Edgefield list and board.  Also check these for other possible past
posts on your line.

                I got a copy of your post to Reynolds family.org list.  So
far I have not seen an answer to that post so I will relate some information
that may or may not help you.  Do you live in or near Trout Lake,
Washington, located more towards the eastern part of the state.  I figured
this out from your e-mail user name and your area code on your phone number.
About as far as it is possible to get from South Carolina, and apparently
out in the middle of rural areas and not near any major research libraries.
About half the size of Alto, Texas, where I live.  I go 35 miles in several
directions for shopping and a genealogy library.

                I am originally from Georgia, just married a Texan from Deep
East Texas.  I am one of the ones who did not make it to the Reunion because
of the rain and flooding that day.

My paternal grandmother's family was from Edgefield District, South
Carolina, in and around Trenton on the western side of  the Ridge which is
the high ground between two water sheds.  Carpenters, Whitlocks, Booths,
etc.

My husband's family, Cates, were on the eastern side of the ridge which is
mostly now in Saluda County that was formed partly from Edgefield somewhere
around 1900 without stopping to look it up.

                A lot of families left Edgefield to go to Alabama in the
early 1800's as new land was opening up there.  His Cates Family went to
Lowndes and Butler County, Alabama, sometimes after the 1820 census but
before 1826.  Some of the Reynolds families in early Edgefield were
neighbors of the Cates in Edgefield.  I have never found any proofs of any
marriages between the two families, just seen the Reynolds name in records
while researching his Cates family.

                Some years ago there was a book by a couple of ladies(I
think) written on the Reynolds of that area.  It seems that they had traced
some of them back to the Caribbean Islands, maybe Jamaica or some other
place.  Have you seen this book???  This was a migration route from England
to the islands and then to the colonies.  Lots came into Charleston, South
Carolina.

                Also are you a member of the Old Edgefield District
Genealogical Society?  They have a wonderful library there on the square in
Edgefield.  Have you ever been there to research?  The genealogy library
there has many vertical files on various families; they may have a vertical
file on the Reynolds family.  That would be information contributed by other
Reynolds researchers that is not in book form.

                There is a lot of information published on Edgefield records
and families.  Many titles are available for purchase from the society.

Old Edgefield District Genealogical society, SCGS, 104 Courthouse Square, P.
O. Box 546, Edgefield, South Carolina 29824

Phone 1-803-637-4010

Email OEDGS85 at GMAIL.COM  Web site OEDGS.ORG

Quill published bimonthly, January, March, May, July, September, and
November

Dues are by the calendar year-$30 and $35.00-also includes membership in the
state Society and their newsletter as well.

                My double Reynolds line is from James Reynolds married
Susannah/Sukey Malone, dau. of Daniel Sr..  First records found about him
are in early 1770's in Lunenburg County, Virginia.  Then a move to Halifax
County, Virginia in late 1780's and  then a move to Oglethorpe County,
Georgia, before 1798.  James Reynolds's daughter, Patsy, marries Samuel
Durham in Oglethorpe County, Georgia, in 1801.  My mother was a Durham from
adjoining Greene County, Georgia.  Cousins married cousins.

                It was my understanding that after the Reynolds Reunion in
September from correspondence from Joe Reynolds in Mt. Pleasant, Texas, that
my James Reynolds was going to be considered/recognized for establishment as
another line instead of being lumped in the unknowns, etc.

                Sorry, I am not able to be more specific about the Reynolds
Book.  I am sure that Tanya A. Guy at the Tompkins Library can be a big help
to you there in Edgefield.

                What is your proof that your ancestor was born in
Edgefield??? Have you researched any of the Reynolds families who were there
on the census, 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820 for connections???

                Wishing you and your family and everyone on the list a very
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Vivian Cates, 2403 State Highway 21 West, Alto, Texas 75925-5706
1-936-858-3801 http://www.myinu.net/vcates