[Parish of Saint Monica] Parish of Saint Monica e-Newsletter 4/29

Fr. Jon Thomas jthomas at accatholic.org
Wed Apr 29 12:30:02 EDT 2020

Parish Calendar

*Friday, May 1 at 10:30 AM*

The New Jersey State AFL-CIO and the Parish of St. Monica, Atlantic City,
invite all working men and women and their families to share in a video
observance of the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker.  St. Joseph, the
carpenter from Nazareth and the adopted father of Jesus Christ, was honored
in 1955 as the patron saint of working people.  May 1 each year is set
aside for commemorations.  But, because of the coronavirus pandemic, this
year's 65th anniversary Mass will be livestreamed.  We pray for our heroes
on the front lines against COVID-19, for the families who support them, for
the people whose lives and livelihoods have been turned upside-down and,
for everyone, that the coronavirus is eradicated.

The Mass will be live-streamed from St. Nicholas of Tolentine Church
on the parish's
YouTube channel <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK9XeGWkvhs>.  Bishop
Sullivan will join the Mass with the parish priests.

*Saturday, May 2 at 10 AM*

Food distribution at Star of the Sea parking lot organized by the Hispanic
Association of Atlantic County.  First 500 families only.  Identification
or proof of address required.

*Saturday, May 2 from 10 AM to 12 Noon*

The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal will live stream their First Saturday
of Reflection from Star of the Sea Church.  Over 1,000 people joined the
sisters through the Web last month.  Join them again through our parish's
YouTube channel <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy0hnMOQ0rGPuu9jEf3o0rQ>.

*Thursday, May 7 from 12 Noon to 5 PM*

American Red Cross Blood Drive at Quaremba Hall.  Schedule an appointment
online
<https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/drive-results?zipSponsor=parish>.

*Saturday, August 15 at 12 Noon*

The Wedding of the Sea Committee leadership decided to cancel the Festival
at St. Michael's this year.  The Mass will still take place, but its
location will depend on Governor Murphy's gathering size restrictions in
August.  The Wedding of the Sea ceremony will still take place at the surf.

Spiritual Resources

*Prayer Hotline*

The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal invite parishioners and others to
leave prayer intentions on their voicemail.  The phone number for St.
Michael's Convent is (609) 343-1545.

*Free Books*

Call the office or email Fr. Jon to request a copy (jthomas at accatholic.org).
Provide your mailing address.  The following titles are available:

   - Song of Silence: The Journey of Saint Jeanne Jugan
   - Poor in Spirit: The Spirituality of Jeanne Jugan
   - Sayings of Jeanne Jugan
   - Be A Man! Becoming the Man God Created You to Be
   - Perfectly Yourself: Discovering God's Dream for You
   - Why We're Catholic: Our Reasons for Faith, Hope and Love

*Online Bible Study*

Fr. Jon's Tuesday night Bible study is continuing online.  Follow at your
convenience at accatholic.org/online.  We started the Second Book of Kings
tonight.  Learn about the great prophet Elijah and his successor Elisha.

*Fr. Jon's English Mass on WOND 1400*

Airs on Sundays at 7 AM

*Other Resources on our Web Site*

On the parish Web site, you can also find a guide for following Sunday Mass
from home (in English and Spanish) plus special prayers for "spiritual
Communion" and for our needs during the pandemic.

Staying in Touch

*Web site* - www.accatholic.org
*English Facebook page* - facebook.com/accatholic
*Spanish Facebook page* -
https://www.facebook.com/Parroquia-Santa-M%C3%B3nica-102170761264036
*Parish Office* - 609-345-1878 - due to the stay-at-home order affecting
parish staff, please allow more time for response