[Papyrus-L] Can anyone help a colleague?

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 23 06:49:54 EST 2016

Hello Dave.
I very much miss Papyrus, but am glad you’re doing well.
Word is fine, but it wouldn’t let you use it for formatting manuscripts, and you’d have to search through the file.  So if the database is sizeable, another option is to import them into another package.  We use Endnote.  Not as good as Papyrus, but they have a little known field called the Label field, which works something like the old Pap number.  You can cite by that number (using a # before it), and unlike the Endnote usual ID, it doesn’t keep changing as you update the database. It can also be the same across different Endnote databases.  This also allows our group to work together on manuscripts, etc. and use the same identifying number (and we also file the material, both electronically and hard copies, by that number).  So we imported our Papyrus database into Endnote, with the Pap numbers going into the Label field.  And then kept going.  In honour of Papyrus, we call the filing numbers Pap numbers.
If that’s helpful, I can ask my assistant how he imported *BIB files into Endnote. I use a Mac, but he uses Windows.
Raisa Deber

On Feb 23, 2016, at 3:47 AM, Dave Goldman <dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com> wrote:

> Hello, former (presumably) users of Papyrus.
>
> I’ve received a call for help from one of your colleagues. He has a Papyrus database that he can no longer access, as his old computer has finally died. (And, as you know, a modern Windows 7 or later machine won’t run Papyrus.)
>
> At this point he’d be extremely grateful if he could send someone his *.BIB files, who could then run Papyrus to create for him a Word document of all his references.
>
> Now, you might think that I could accomplish such an easy task here at the former Papyrus headquarters! Unfortunately, the former Papyrus headquarters consists mainly of a very old PC that has not been connected to the Internet for many years.
>
> While I might eventually be able to get all the pieces hooked up again, I’m wondering whether one of you might be better equipped to more easily help your colleague?
>
> -- Dave Goldman (dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com)
>   Research Software Design

Raisa Deber, PhD
Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
Health Sciences Building
155 College Street Suite 425
Toronto, ON  M5T 3M6