[Papyrus-L] help i have 6.0

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Wed Nov 28 00:46:49 EST 2012

If you are using Papyrus in MS-Windows (2000, XP, Vista or 7; I don't know about Win8), you may not have the command line right.
Try this.

Right-click on the icon that starts Papyrus from the Windows desktop.
In the list that appears, left-click on Properties.
This brings up a window with several tabs at the top. Left-click on the one called Program.
This brings up a grey rectangle with white areas for text that can be edited.
One editable item is labelled Cmd line: It identifies the directory (folder) for the Papyrus program (specified when you installed it) and the directory for your database files.
My command line is C:\REFS\PAPYRUS\PAP.EXE C:\REFS\PAPREF /C
This means that PAP.EXE (and about 25 other files that came with the installation) are in the directory C:\REFS\PAPYRUS and that my database of references is in C:\REFS\PAPREF.
These directory names are ones that I made up. There will be different paths and names on the computer you are using.
Edit the Cmd line to suit your installation of Papyrus.

You may be able to re-find your lost database files by searching your hard drive for the 8 files with the .BIB extension that constitute each Papyrus database. The largest ones are REFKEY.BIB, INDX.BIB, and REF.BIB. All the Papyrus .BIB files must be in the same directory (folder) for each database. If you have two or more Papyrus databases, you must have a specific command line (Wndows icon with Properties) for each one.

When you back up your Papyrus database(s), twice every day, it's important to copy all the .BIB files, even those that have not changed, to the corresponding directories on the backup drive. About 12 years ago, I damaged my Papyrus database by backing up only the changed .BIB files. Dave Goldman very kindly reversed my errors and saved about 10,000 references, with all the comments and keywords. (I was a paid-up subscriber.) Since then I've always done COPY *.bib to and from memory sticks etc. My two Papyrus databases survive on two desktops, two laptops, two movable hard drives and two memory sticks.
The /C at the end of my command line is a Papyrus option that allows the program to start more smoothly. It's explained in the documentation.

John Kiernan
UWO, Canada
= = =