[Papyrus-L] Papyrus installation in Windows 7

Ann Greer agreer at uwm.edu
Tue Sep 7 13:33:56 EDT 2010

Dear Raisa,
Unbelievable. I am currently maintaining two Mac G4 computers, both a
desktop and a laptop for the sole purpose of running Papyrus. If I am
traveling I have to carry both Snow Leopard and Panther (I think it is).
While I dread an computer activity that is beyond my near-nonexistent
skills, managing this transfer certainly sounds like the reward will be
worth it. Thank you. Ann

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Raisa Deber <raisa.deber at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> For you Mac users, with the aid of my son, I was able to install DOSBox on

> my Mac to run Papyrus under Snow Leopard. Even worse, I've installed the

> free Microsoft Word for DOS to simplify text extracted output (translates

> with another Mac program called MacLink Plus). So yes, I've succeeded in

> using great technology to emulate 15 year old software! Isn't progress

> wonderful?

> Raisa Deber

> On 2010-09-06, at 9:11 PM, John Kiernan wrote:

> > Papyrus on Windows 7 (64-bit).

> > It can be done, using a free (public domain) program called DOSBox. The

> current version (0.74) of DOSBox can be downloaded from

> http://www.dosbox.com/ (Click on "Downloads" at the top of the page, and

> follow the links). The program is easy to install, and it brings up a window

> that behaves like a DOS Version 5, logged in to Drive "Z:".

> > To run Papyrus, you have to "mount" drive letters to represent the

> locations of the directories containing your Papyrus program and data files.

> (I use P: to represent C:\REFS\PAPYRUS\ and Q: for C:\REFS\PAPREF\

> respectively.) The Alt+Enter key combination can be used to toggle between

> the rather small DOSBox window and full screen, if you like things big.

> After quitting Papyrus, you are back at DOSBox's command prompt. You can

> close DOSBox by entering the command EXIT or (Windows-wise) by clicking the

> X at the top right corner. It would be possible to abandon DOSBox by

> clicking the X in the middle of a Papyrus session. I haven't tried this! I

> suspect that there would be no prompt to save changes.

> > With a little study of the DOSBox documentation, it's possible to find

> and edit a configuration file that will do the mounting and start the

> program. I now have the old familiar Papyrus icon on the Windows 7 desktop,

> and everything works well. Edited and changed files are saved to my

> C:\REFS\PAPREF directory. I can back up all the .BIB files to a memory stick

> and copy them to another computer.

> > The DOSBox program appears to be aimed at games enthusiasts; it has many

> features and options that aren't needed for Papyrus.

> > DOSBox can also accommodate many other DOS programs and utilities,

> including some very useful ones that won't otherwise work in Vista or Win 7.

> From a desktop icon, I can now call up a utilities window, type in MW NaIO3

> and see the molecular weight of sodium iodide (149.894). I can type PEP

> ala-tyr-gly-trp and get the MW of the peptide and an estimate of its pI. I

> haven't yet tried larger DOS applications such as WordStar.

> > DOSBox may signal a few more years of useful life for Papyrus. I hope so.

> > Sadly, DOSBox will not run 16-bit graphics applications that need

> Win95/98 in addition to DOS. The WIMP95 program for drawing chemical

> structures is one of these. It worked up to and including XP and Vista.

> > I thank Rex Conn of http://jpsoft.com (4DOS, 4NT, TakeCommand etc) for

> telling me about DOSBox.

> [...]

Ann Lennarson Greer
Professor of Sociology and Urban Studies
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
Office: 1-414-229-6944/4388
Office fax: 1-414-229-4266