[Papyrus-L] Searchable bibliographies on the wire

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 23 16:54:06 EDT 2008

If you're talking about your department (rather than on the web per
se), you can put Papyrus itself, an instruction file, and the .bb
files. People so wishing can install Papyrus on their own machine,
and search the bibliography. (It may also be possible to search from
the server, but we don't do it that way because we don't know how to
manage multiple users.) In my own research group, we've rebranded
Papyrus as a WIKI, and suggested that users can separate two
functions - the searchable bibliography database, and the ability to
text extract. We have one master file, which we maintain centrally.
All corrections, additions, etc. go there. On a regular basis (in
our case, at the end of the day), we create backup files, and post
the bb files to the departmental server. Anyone wanting to use it
copies the bb files to their hard drive, and restores from backup.

This means that people wishing to use Endnote (or any other reference
manager) can generate output files and automatically input the
relevant references into Endnote. We suggest using keywords (in our
case, RESEARCHER-WHOEVER and PROJECT-WHATEVER) if people want to
create subsets rather than transferring over the entire bibliography
(we're now over 18,000 references). We also use the papyrus number
to label electronic copies of the files, which are also on the server
(separated into CAN CIRC and RESTRICTED directories to ensure we
respect copyright).

I've got a "how to" manual, if you're interested; email me.
Now, if you want the general public to be able to search the web
site, this won't do it.
Hope this helps.
Raisa Deber
On 19-Sep-08, at 10:45 AM, Christopher K. Starr wrote:

> Dear Friends,

> Here is a question that some of you have undoubtedly already

> resolved: How do I go about putting a Papyrus-generated

> bibliography on my department's webpage in searchable form? I have

> two specialized bibliographies, one amounting to about 280 and the

> other to about 1600 references. Each of them is probably far

> better than what anyone else has generated in those particular

> areas, so it makes sense to put them up there for everyone. Simply

> putting it up as a word-processed bibliography would be very easy,

> but at least in the case of the longer bibliography it would be of

> rather limited use. I admit that I am at best semi-literate in

> these things, a competent Papyrus user but nearly clueless at

> putting anything on the wire. I admit that I haven't examined the

> company's site with this question in mind, so it may be that

> instructions are already there (if I could make any sense of them).

> If any of you who has already had occasion to learn how to do this

> would like to take me under her/his wing and instruct me over the

> next month or so, much obliged. That is, however, a tall order, so

> I will be happy with whatever advice I can get.

> Please note that I am about to go over to Tobago for the next six

> days -- it's not what you think; I will be in the woods, collecting

> bugs, and not lounging on the beach -- during which I will be out

> of electronic contact. I mention this in case anyone responds

> swiftly and then wonders why I stay silent.

> Regards,

> Chris

> Christopher K. Starr

> Dep't of Life Sciences

> University of the West Indies

> St Augustine, Trinidad & Tobago

> http://www.sta.uwi.edu/fsa/lifesciences/

> "Back in 1772, a ruined pair of shoes once learned how to speak.

> Actual words were punctuated by an animalistic barking and a

> howling, a longing for roads."

> Maurice Greenia in The Poetic Express vol. 23 no. 2

> Messenger Online Treff: Spontan chatten, über Hobbies reden, sofort

> Spass haben? Jetzt klicken!

Raisa Deber, PhD
Professor, Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
Director, CIHR Team in Community Care and Health Human Resources
(www.teamgrant.ca)
Health Sciences Building
155 College Street Suite 425
Toronto, ON M5T 3M6